SEC Ltd (SEC) is aware of the potential impact that the events staged at the Scottish Exhibition + Conference Centre (SECC) can have on the environment. SEC also recognises its responsibilities in promoting best practice among visitors to the venue. As a responsible visitor, we would ask you to consider the following six ways in which you could lessen your impact on the environment:
1. Conserve energy ~ whilst lifts and escalators are essential for some visitors, many visitors could use the stairs instead. This is not only better for you, but also reduces the amount of energy needed to power venue lifts and escalators.
2. Conserve water ~ when using venue toilet facilities, please use water wisely and do remember not to leave taps running.
3. Give the car a rest ~ whenever possible we would encourage visitors to leave their cars behind and walk, cycle or use public transport or any other environmentally friendly transport method.
4. Reduce, reuse, recycle ~ When visiting the venue and purchasing any goods, try to avoid overly packaged items and decline that extra carrier bag if you really don't need it. Recycle any waste you have at the recycling points provided throughout the centre.
5. Respect nature ~ help us to look after our landscape and wildlife by not littering and depositing all refuse in bins or at the recycling points provided. Use footpaths and cycle-ways around the centre responsibly.
6. Support green businesses ~ there are hundreds of businesses trying to reduce their environmental impact through the Green Tourism Business Scheme.
Businesses are awarded Bronze, Silver and Gold for their efforts to be more environmentally responsible. SECC achieved a GTBS Gold rating in 2009. A list of local businesses participating is available at the SECC Information Desk.
For more information about the SECC Environmental Policy, please ask at the Information desk on the main SECC concourse, where our full environmental policy and environmental folder is available on request.
We hope that the suggestions above help you to consider your impact on the environment and that you enjoy your visit to the SECC.